Thursday, October 29, 2009

Reading Assignment Twenty (!!!)

Okay, wow. Twenty posts. That seems like a lot to me. Huh, anyways...

I'm still adoring Rattled! by Christine Coppa. Chrissy just moved out of her apartment in NYC. I remember when I moved. I was in third grade, and all we did was move from one street to another, but it was still scary. As a kid, you feel like your whole life is being uprooted. The first night I slept at my new house was so different. The sounds outside were louder. I could not see the headlights from cars now that my room was in the back of the house. My bed was in a different spot. The room was darker. It smelled off. Change is funny like that. It comes upon us in the most unexpected ways. One day you're living your life, and the next, everything is different. You move, you get pregnant, someone dies. Some days the change is something you accept. Some days you can't bear to think about it. Some days it's like it's not there at all. One day I was home, the next, I was sleeping in a stranger's house. Or maybe I was a stranger in my own house. Chrissy has a stranger in her body. Babies are these little people who we don't know, and yet her's is occupying her body for nine months. Life is so weird. I know that not a very eloquent way of putting it, but it's the truth. I'm calling a spade a spade: Life is weird and big and strange. Those are my not-so-eloquently-put-thoughts.

Yours?

1 comment:

  1. 6/6 entries for 10/29/09--eloquent or not, a delight to read. I do believe that you'll go back to Emma (maybe this summer? maybe over winter break?) and I'm glad you have such an engaging book to read now! You asked for book recommendations, and I'm currently on a Bill Bryson kick--recommending him to everyone I see. In a Sunburned Country, Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid, A Short History of nearly Everything....

    ReplyDelete