Thursday, October 29, 2009

Reading Assignment Eighteen

Now we're at the breaking point: Christine's boyfriend, A, left. He left her and he left the baby. For a memoir, this is starting to read more like a suspense novel. I can't believe it! I can't believe he left her! She's pregnant!! With your baby! Ahh! Not okay! You can't leave a pregnant woman! Grr. I was really upset about that. I've met a lot of pregnant women in my day, but none of them have been jilted that way. I read that and I was totally speechless. Well, I was speechless with the gaping hole for a mouth way. In my head, however, I kept asking questions: What will Christine do now? Will A come back? Will he have to pay child support? Can she support a child on her own? Will she have an abortion? Ahh, what's gonna happen? I seriously thought every single one of those thoughts. Each one scared me more than the last one. I don't know how she's gonna do it. Christine is pregnant, single, and basically broke. That is not a good combination. I'm a little hyped up right now, Yoda. I'm really feeling for this woman. And she's not just some character in a book where I can say," At least it's just some fake character in a book." Christine is real. Her situation is real. There's no shying away from reality here. She's going to have to face those fears that she has- and fast. Babies only take nine months to cook; she's three months pregnant.

No comments:

Post a Comment