Monday, September 14, 2009

Reading Assignment Eight

Hey!

Now that I've finished The Innocent Man, it's time for me to pick a new book. And I have! Today, I started to read Emma by Jane Austen. I'm really excited about it! I've read Pride and Prejudice (which I loved), so it will be interesting to see how I like Emma. I really love the way that Austen writes, and the language is beautiful to me... as opposed to being confusing. Plus, I'm also a diehard romantic, and a story about a matchmaker sounds perfect. Our teacher lent it to me, and suggested that after reading it, I should watch Clueless because the movie is based off of Emma. Well, I've seen Clueless, so I'm going to make a couple of predictions about what happens:

  1. Emma is a lovely, but naive matchmaker who doesn't always see what is best for the people she matches.
  2. Emma's mother died when she was a child- this is taken straight out of Clueless.
  3. Emma ends up with someone she doesn't think is all that great- at first. She slowly grows to like him over the course of the book.
So, I guess that we'll have to see what happens! All of these things happen in Clueless, so that's where I'm basing the predictions off. Also, they seem like things that Austen would do. I'm hoping that Emma lives up the expectations I have for Austen... although I've only read Pride and Prejudice, she's still one of my favorite authors. I'm really looking forward to seeing if my predictions come true!

Any other predictions?

No comments:

Post a Comment