Friday, January 22, 2010

Reading Assignment Thirty One

I took a break from The Old Man and The Sea because it is not nonficition and I need to read a nonfiction book. Well, I've found it: The Diana Chronicles. It is a nonfiction account of the life of Diana Spencer, and truthfully, I am really excited to read it. I wanted to read the book when it came out initially, but never got around to it. Well, this past weekend, I stayed with my grandmother, and it caught my eye on her bookshelf. She's let me borrow it, and I'm only a little ways in, but it is good. I have always loved Diana, and her tale seemed like something out of a movie. Her story fascinates me and the rest of the world.
The story is told so far in a very biased voice. The author is not shy about persuading the reader to think a certain way, and while I appreciate her selective and controlled language, it also made me dislike the author a little. When I read a book, I want to information presented, not the opinions; I don't need the author to think for me. Alas, she does, and I am stuck with it. Besides that, I am enjoying the material. There is a lot of detail in the writing, and not much fluff. The author puts her opnion in through the use of adjectives.
On a side note, I think it's important to address the exterior as well as the interior of a book. The jacket cover of this book is white with simple font and colors. Not so interesting. What I thought was interesting was the interior, behind the jacket. The inside has a collage of pictures, each with Diana. She is shown dancing, smiling, laughing, frowning, kissing, and even turning away from her husband. Beyond putting something interesting in for the reader, it shows many different sides of Diana, which acts as a little glimpse before the book begins.

No comments:

Post a Comment